Forth and Clyde Canal
The Forth and Clyde Canal crosses Scotland, providing a route for sea-going vessels between the Firth of Forth and the Firth of Clyde at the narrowest part of the Scottish Lowlands. The canal also provides a scenic route for walking and cycling.
The canal is 35 miles (56 km) long and its eastern end is connected to the River Forth by a short stretch of the River Carron near Grangemouth. The towpaths have been restored with cycling and walkers use in mind and the basin at Auchinstarry has been redeveloped with additional moorings and the boathouse restaurant.
The Forth and Clyde Canal offers a great walking and cycling day out for the whole family.
The Forth and Clyde Canal runs through Cumbernauld and Kilsyth. The historic burgh of Kilsyth has Burngreen Park and the Colzium estate, which is a must visit for the whole family. Both towns are also home to the World Heritage Site of the Antonine Wall.
Brief History of the Forth and Clyde Canal
Funding was raised in the mid 1700's for the building of a Canal across the central belt of scotland from East to West. Work commenced in june 1768 and continued for 22 years. Local people were recruited to work on the canal which was dug manually with picks and shovels.
The Forth and Clyde Canal was opened from the Firth of Forth to the Firth of Clyde in the summer of 1790 and allowed boats to travel east to west, goods and agricultural produce to be transported and travellers and holidaymakers to travel on 'swift' boats. Transportation on the canal was eventually taken over by the railways and the canal was closed in 1963.