Lowther Hills Ski Club
The Lowther Hills Ski Club runs South of Scotland's only snowsports centre.
Founded in 1986, we are a volunteer-based, family-friendly club which has snowsports facilities on the Lowther Hills.
We operate a nursery slope in the village of Leadhills and an area for intermediates on Lowther Hill, where we are currently building new facilities: a clubhouse, a 400 metre-long ski tow for intermediate skiers, and a beginners' area with a 100 metre-long ski tow.
Please remember that to be able to use the Club's facilities, you must be a member of the Lowther Hills Ski Club.
1. Driving directions to Leadhills and Wanlockhead Coming from the North (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Lanark, Central Belt), head for Abington (Junction 13 on the on the M74) and take the B797 road to Leadhills / Wanlockhead. If you are coming from Dumfries, the safest route in wintry conditions is via the A701 and M74. Exit at the Junction 14 in Elvanfoot, follow the B7040 to Leadhills and then the B797 to Wanlockhead.
2. Where are you going to ski? The Lowther Hills Ski Club operates two skiing areas: a nursery area in the village of Leadhills, and an area for intermediates on Lowther Hill which is accessed from Wanlockhead.
3. Parking your car in Leadhills The Leadhills nursery slope is found at Leadhills' Golf Course, about 500m (6 minute walk) up the road from the Hopetoun Arms Hotel.
4. Parking your car in Wanlockhead Please park only in the designated car parks in Wanlockhead. Please be considerate and do not leave your car near the cottages in the village. The roads must be kept clear at all times. In order to minimise traffic impact, please try to car share wherever possible.
5. Walking to the Club's facilities on Lowther Hill The Club's facilites will be located 1.5 miles (40 minutes walk) from Wanlockhead, on the Lowther Hill Radar Station road (highlighted in green on the map). This is a private road and no public vehicular access is permitted. You will have to walk (or ski) all the way up.