The Scots Mining Company House
This former office of the Scots Mining Company is now a residential property. The Scots Mining Company's House is thought to be the only surviving example of a small mansion house designed by the Scots architect William Adam (1689 - 1748) The house was buildt in 1734 for the manager of the lead mines and stands in a prominent position overlooking the village.
The original grounds features a bowling green, which was created around 1745, as well as a fruit and vegetable garden. The lead from the mines was transported by land to Leith for export to Holland where it was processed, and tradition has it that the empty wagons were used to bring soil for the garden to Leadhills.
Tel: 01659 74235
Location: Leadhills Biggar ML12 6XP