Carmichael Estate History Walking Route
Distance: 4 ½ miles
Time: 2 - 3 hours
Terrain: estate roads, hill tracks, open hillside, there is one steep slope to descend
Start/finish point: Carmichael visitor centre by A73, 5 miles south of Lanark
Transport: Train – Lanark railway station 5 miles; Bus – service between Lanark and Thankerton (2 mile walk along Perryflats Road –
Refreshment: The Carmichael Farm Tea Room (seasonal)
This has been the Clan Carmichael’s patch since the 14th century and the clan has made its mark. Explore the estate and unravel the ebbs and flows of a clan that played a prominent role in Scottish, British and European history.
Points of Interest
1. Clan Carmichael visitor centre – heritage exhibition and a souvenir and farm shop.
2. Carmichael house – built in 1734, it replaced a tower destroyed by Cromwell. The corridor linking the two wings was added later and removed the need to have a carriage on stand-by to provide transport between them.
3. Dovecot – built in 1750 this ornate stone dovecot would have provided the estate with eggs and meat.
4. Hyndford memorial – monument on top of Carmichael hill to the 2nd earl of Hyndford who was a distinguished diplomat.
5. Deer park – the farmed venison plays an important part of the modern estate’s economy.
6. Barracks – the building dates from the time when major landowners where required by the crown to maintain a battalion.
From the visitor centre go around the end of the heritage museum and then go between the stables and the barn.
Go round to the rear of the barn onto a red gravel path.
Turn right through the gate and follow signs for the Carmichael history walk.
Follow track through woodland and then turn steeply uphill past red brick cottage.
At main drive turn left. Continue to follow the main drive around walled area. At conifer trees go to the left to old Carmichael House.
Continue past the front of Carmichael House and follow signs round the far corner of the house. Go down a couple of steps and turn to the right and then to left to cross small bridge.
Follow widening track through trees to a dirt track – turn right and then turn left on to main drive at Westmains. Follow drive to Westgate.
At Westgate follow signs uphill in strip of woodland more or less following the wall on your left.
At the top of the climb follow sign to the right. Step over fence onto open hillside.
Follow rising ground to Hyndford monument.
From monument make your way to strip of conifers. Go round the top of the strip and follow deer fence steeply downhill.
At the bottom of the hill turn right and then round to right at barracks to return via outward route past red brick cottage.
Tel: 01698 453873
Location: ML12 6PG